The shield of faith is a vital part of the Christian’s armor. You are to put on the “full armor of God” (Ephesians 6:11), because the Christian life is to be in warfare and spiritual conflict. As Paul names the different parts of the Christian armor, he refers to the shield as being a necessity. “In every situation take the shield of faith, and with it you will be able to extinguish the flaming arrows of the evil one” (Ephesians 6:16). See also Romans 8:37.
The importance of faith is seen in that:
1. You cannot be saved without faith (John 3:36)
2. You cannot live victoriously over the world without faith (1 John 5:4).
3. You cannot please God without faith. “Now without faith it is impossible to please God, for the one who draws near to Him must believe that He exists and rewards those who seek Him” (Hebrews 11:6).
4. You cannot pray without faith (James 1:6).
5. Without faith, you cannot have peace with God. “Therefore, since we have been declared righteous by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ” (Romans 5:1).
6. You cannot have joy without faith (1 Peter 1:8).
7. You are justified by faith and not by works (Galatians 2:16).
8. You are to live by faith (Galatians 2:20).
9. You are made righteous by faith (Romans 10:1-4).
10. Christ dwells in your heart by faith (Ephesians 3:17).
11. The Holy Spirit is received by faith (Galatians 3:2).
12. “But whoever doubts stands condemned if he eats, because his eating is not from faith, and everything that is not from faith is sin” (Romans 14:23).